Register to Fix Your Mortgage at Free Chicago Event

August 15, 2010

You’ve heard the numbers: Almost 30 percent of all Chicago-area homeowners owe more on their mortgages than their homes are worth.

Foreclosures are at an all-time high. Don’t let it happen to you.

There’s a free “Fix Your Mortgage” event scheduled for Saturday, August 21 on the north side of Chicago.

The free event, sponsored by the Neighborhood Housing Services of Chicago (NHS), the City of Chicago and the Attorneys’ Title Guaranty Fund (ATG), will allow homeowners to meet with volunteer real estate attorneys, City of Chicago staff, NHS staff and HUD-certified counselors to determine if they qualify for assistance under the Making Home Affordable program.

If you qualify, an application for a loan modification will be submitted on your behalf that day.

Make sure you register in advance to save yourself a spot. These things are quite popular these days! Registration closes by 12:30 p.m. or when the 1,000th homeowner has been assisted.

What: Fix Your Mortgage Event

When: Saturday, August 21; 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Where: Northside College Prep High School, 5501 N. Kedzie Avenue, Chicago

For more information on who qualifies and how to apply, check out:




Or Call:

*(773) 329-4185

*(773) 329-4181 for Spanish

There will also be a Fix Your Mortgage event on October 16; 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Westinghouse College Prep, 3223 W. Franklin Blvd., Chicago.

In addition, a “Keep Your Home” event in the suburbs is scheduled for Saturday, October 2; 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at The Hemmens Cultural Center, 45 Symphony Way, Elgin.

* * *

In order to apply for a loan modification, ALL borrowers on the loan MUST be present and MUST bring two copies of the following documents:

* Two most recent pay stubs

* Two most recent bank statements

* Real estate tax bill

* Most recent utility bill

* Homeowners insurance bill

* Most recent tax return (including all schedules and W-2s)

* Most recent mortgage statements for both first and second mortgage, if applicable

* Profit-loss statement if you are self-employed

* Proof/documentation of income from any other sources such as alimony, child support (judgment letter), Social Security income (award letter)

* Account balances and monthly payments on all other debts including homeowner association/condo fees, credit cards, student or car loans, child support and alimony

If you have rental income, you must bring:

* Signed lease agreement(s).

* Rent receipt(s) or signed letter(s) from occupant(s) confirming rent amount

For additional information and assistance, see What You Need to Know about Foreclosure.

Good luck!

About The Author


Read All Stories By Tracey

Leave a Comment